Saturday, October 29, 2011

Sister Lewis

Last night when my husband and I were out on a date, I received a phone call from Elder Godfrey. He said that he was sorry to bother me, but that neither he nor our other assistant had been able to get hold of my husband.

He told me that we had a “waiter” in Virginia and we had just received word that she was expected in the morning. I was on the train at the time with my husband and it was really hard to hear, so I told him that I would have Presidente call him back.

When we arrived at home, Presidente returned the call. I figured that this meant that our plans to go into the city on Saturday had fallen apart. However, my husband said that he thought we would still have time in the afternoon.

We arrived at the airport this morning and found an incredible number of cars and people. It wasn’t until we went inside and looked at the flight schedule that we realized that four international flights had arrived within 30 minutes of each other.

I was very worried about Sister Lewis. The immigrations hall at the Ezeiza Airport is very intimidating. All I could do was imagine this brand new sister missionary with limited English waiting among these thousands of arrivals, having no idea where to go or what to do. I asked him if he remembered where she was from. I wondered if she had traveled alone before and mostly just waited with a prayer in my heart that she would be alright.

After about an hour, my husband told me to wait where I was standing. I thought that he was going to check the order of the flight arrivals. I had been watching luggage tags for members of the flight that she was on.

A few minutes later, someone came up from behind me and grabbed me by the shoulders and turned me around.

“Mom! I’m here!!!”

DSC08973

It was a most incredible shocking moment to which I responded with a ton of tears.

When I had pulled myself together, Presidente said, “Okay, let’s go.”

I was even more confused, “What about Sister Lewis?” I asked. And they both went into a fit of laughter.

“There is no Sister Lewis.”

DSC09116

No comments:

Post a Comment